Wednesday 16 July 2014

10 Day Writing Challenge: Day 6

Day Six: Five people who mean a lot (in no order whatsoever)
 

1) Mum. You gave me enough freedom to make my own mistakes, but were always there to comfort me, encourage me and lift me up again. You taught me that I matter. You were strict, but I am so grateful for that.

2) Mom. You're just what I needed in my life. I am so glad to have the relationship that we do, because I treasure it. When things with my own mother were strained, it was a great comfort to me to know that you were just a phone call away. Your help without judgement is appreciated more than you know.

3) Hubby. There is no way that I can adequately express here how very much you need to me. For me, you are God's grace personified; you found me at my lowest, and have helped me to soar higher than I thought possible. Thank you for leading me when I need it, following when I ask it, and being at my side for everything that is to come.

4) BioDad (BD). Thank you for giving me Primus and Secunda. Although I messed things up horribly, you were merciful and forgiving, and I feel that we have moved beyond it to a better place where I can say with absolute conviction that I'm glad that we shared a part of our lives together, and I'm glad that Primus and Secunda have a growing relationship with you.

5) Me. I struggled with who to put here. And even as recently as a year ago,  I wouldn't have put me on this list. But a lot of introspection has happened for me since then, and I have come to realise that in order for anyone else to see my value, I have to first see it in myself. So thank you for having the strength to endure an abusive teacher, to withstand the years of bullying, to not let rape define me; thank you for getting up each time I got knocked down, for opening up to others even when it was scary, for learning to stand up to others, for responding with kindness rather than in kind, for walking away from what wasn't healthy or nurturing, and for your faith that there was a better, more profound life waiting for me.



Stay tuned for Day Seven: Four turn offs.

1 comment:

  1. I am really glad you put YOU there. You mean a lot to many <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment - I love hearing from you!

Decluttering My Way

 I have a confession to make.     I hate housework. Yes, me - the proprietor of Busy Bee Domestic Wizardry, where I cleaned other peoples...