Friday 12 July 2013

Anniversary Musings

Six years ago at this time, I was collapsed in my bed after a ridiculously long day of working the graveyard shift on security, followed by a full day's security instruction (BST training), then SCA archery practice. Six years ago, I had had to field a call from the man I was no longer dating and hung up on him when he tried to read me the riot act for not getting enough sleep. Honestly, I knew I hadn't gotten enough sleep, I didn't need Captain Obvious to point it out to me; he'd broken up with me (when I caught him out for cheating on me) 2 months prior, so he really had no right to say anything, and he should have known that saying it to a sleep-deprived woman holding a longbow was a dangerous thing to do. Six years ago, I was pondering swearing off men for a while. And six years ago, wheels were being set into motion that I hadn't the slightest clue about, that would lead me to the life I always wanted to have.

I was damaged goods; a mother of two small children, separated from her husband for five months and feeling like I would need to resign myself to a life of raising my children without a thought to a life for myself, of romance, passion or utter contentment. I was profoundly sad at the failure of my marriage, the spectacular crash-and-burn of my first attempt at dating post-marriage, and I was trying to carve out a living for me and my kids that would allow us to maybe move out of my parents' home one day. I had gone on a very nice and promising first date with a gentleman, but he was only in town for the summer, so I wasn't really holding my breath. The fact that he didn't call for days afterwards didn't give me any cause to feel optimistic, either.

But I had done something different that night. Instead of just fuming to myself about the idiot, I went to my friend Lizz and vented. And that one small thing set off a chain reaction of events that led me to where I am today.

Because six years ago at this time, the love of my life was talking to Lizz online. He casually mentioned his own difficulties meeting someone, and it triggered a thought in Lizz's mind, which led her to say, "You should meet a friend of mine."

And six years ago at this time, he was writing the first of innumerable emails that would mark the beginning of our life together, a life full of love, passion and utter contentment. A life full of children, of chaos, of dishes and laundry and messy rooms; a life that I had always dreamed of. That we named our youngest child in her honour is but a tiny token of the love and esteem we feel for Lizz for her hand in this, for being the vessel through which God's plan was revealed to both of us.

Six years ago at this time is when I feel like my life really started. The rest was all a warm-up.

Five years ago at this moment, I was sewing Swarovski crystals onto the bodice of my wedding gown, too excited to sleep. I was gathering up the accessories that I would wear the next day when Hubby's father joined us as husband and wife. I was writing in a card serving a dual purpose - both anniversary and wedding day card - and hoping that I didn't trip over my own feet walking down the aisle.

It hardly seems that 6 years have passed since we met, that 5 years have passed since we married. But when we take the time to look at how our children have grown (and multiplied!), we can mark the years a little easier. This - this life - is what I dreamed of as a young girl. Married to a wonderful, intelligent, caring man and raising four children, two boys, two girls. It is everything I ever wanted, and more.

Happy anniversary, my love.

2 comments:

  1. LOVED this!! So happy for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shawna :) I feel humbled by the beautiful gifts I've been given.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment - I love hearing from you!

Decluttering My Way

 I have a confession to make.     I hate housework. Yes, me - the proprietor of Busy Bee Domestic Wizardry, where I cleaned other peoples...