Wednesday 14 May 2014

Busy Little Bee's Poetry Corner - The Sound of Salsa

Today in Busy Little Bee's Poetry Corner, we revisit one of my favourite filks. But first, an explanation of the word "filk":

To my reckoning, a filk is a song where one takes an existing melody and makes up new lyrics for it. This was in practice even in medieval times, but really gained popularity (and it's name) in the 20th century in Sci-Fi culture. Wikipedia has this to say on the topic. When trying to explain it to others, I generally end up saying, "You know, like what 'Weird Al' does." Clear as mud? Great.

And now, without delay, is the filk that Hubby and I wrote in about 5-10 minutes in March 2008. I give you...



The Sound of Salsa

To the tune of 'The Sound of Silence', by Simon and Garfunkel
New lyrics by Hubby and Busy Little Bee, March 2008

Quesadilla, my old friend
You’ve come to visit me again
And in my tummy pressure is creeping,
Woke me up when I was sleeping
And the vapour that implanted in my sheet
Was hardly sweet
It had the sound of salsa

In restless dreams I ate alone
For enchiladas to atone
In the middle of a nacho plate
I found my tummy wasn’t feeling great
And I knew that the feeling wasn’t right
It split the night
It was the sound of salsa

And in my nightmares, like before
Ten thousand tacos, maybe more
And the people were running screaming
Tears of pain from their eyes streaming
People writhing, for their breathing was impaired
No one dared
Due to the sound of salsa

Fools, said I, you cannot guess
Silence doesn’t serve you best
Hear the sound and you can flee it
You can smell it but not see it
But my words like cold taquitos fell
And you could tell,
Tell by the sound of salsa.

And all the people bowed and prayed
For fear of refried beans I’d made
And I tried to give them warning
Of the methane cloud then forming
And I told them the one I feel coming
Could strip paint off the wall
"Excuse me, all."
I whispered, in the sound of salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment - I love hearing from you!

Decluttering My Way

 I have a confession to make.     I hate housework. Yes, me - the proprietor of Busy Bee Domestic Wizardry, where I cleaned other peoples...