Saturday 29 June 2013

Fighting With The Legends of Yore - And Sleep

I probably haven't mentioned this yet, but I'm a geek. A bona fide, certifiable, Star Wars-watching, Doctor Who-obsessing, Harry Potter-loving, D&D playing, mediaeval-re-creating geek.

Tonight was our usual biweekly Dungeons & Dragons session. Now, we don't dress up like dwarves and elves and wield foam swords - that's LARP (Live Action Role Play). No, this is much more pedestrian, with a group of us sitting around the table (or chilling in the living room when it's not a sauna), rolling dice and speaking as if we were our characters. It's a fun way to allow us to take on a different persona for a few hours a couple of times a month, hang out with our friends and tune out of technology.

My character in this current campaign is a human rogue, or thief. This means I'm awesome at detecting traps (Admiral Ackbar, anyone?), disarming them, and moving very, very quietly to sneak up on my opponents and attack them from behind.

Tonight's session saw us clearing out a Drow (dark elf) stronghold, freeing the Dwarven captives and getting LOOT! Cool stuff for everyone, and lots of money to buy what we didn't find.

I've noticed though, that I've been having trouble staying awake for the whole session. For a few months now. The last time this happened, I was pregnant - no, I'm NOT pregnant - so I'm wondering what the cause of this game-night fatigue is. I really enjoy game, so I don't think it's boredom. I was just sent for a whole whack of blood tests, so maybe it will show anemia or something - some explanation for how tired I am. Maybe it's blood sugar. I have high blood sugar, and my customary double Mars bar may need to go the way of the dodo. I don't eat a lot of sweets at any other time, but I do allow myself a "cheat" day on game nights. Maybe more veggies and cheese snacks are in order, and fewer chips and chocolate bars. It's certainly not going to hurt me to eat better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment - I love hearing from you!

Decluttering My Way

 I have a confession to make.     I hate housework. Yes, me - the proprietor of Busy Bee Domestic Wizardry, where I cleaned other peoples...