Monday 16 May 2016

My Journey of Hope: Day 28 of 28 - Creating (and keeping!) An Oasis Of Calm, Part One

To cap off my journey, I decided that I needed a reward for the work I'd done. And for me, that meant getting my front deck set up the way I want it.

Of course, some aspects of that will have to wait until payday, such as a new Adirondack chair, and a new carpet. But there was still plenty to do!



Let me preface the photos with this: the front deck has become a little haven for Hubby and I, a place to retreat to after dinner, when the sun has dipped low enough that it's not longer beating mercilessly on the west-facing front of our home. It also serves as a lovely place to spend the morning, after Hubby and the hobbitses are off to school. I'll often take my breakfast out there, or enjoy a cup of tea. It's 4' by 15' of calm. But it wasn't looking very pretty this spring.

The first thing was to clear away the dust and mess of the fall and winter.
Old plant containers cleaned up, planters lifted up, waiting for the moss treatment and power wash

The moss build-up was worst closest to the door. At least some of the planting was done!

We bought this stuff called "30 Seconds" to get rid of the moss. Primus volunteered to help me, so we took turns applying it to the floor. We used a scrubber to work it into the surface, then let it sit for 10 minutes. Then Primus had the job of spraying all that crap off. Now, it didn't get everything, but it was much improved!
SOO much better!

Then it was time to lay the carpet down, after having beaten dust out of it with a broom, and once down, I swept most of the plant debris off of it, and onto the gravel below.
Starting to take shape!

I set out our chairs again (I really can't wait to get rid of that chaise - it's too low to the ground, and it takes up too much space on the deck), and set the plants back down. All that was left was to finish planting the flowers and herbs.
Tertius shows off his planter

Quarta shows her in-progress planter

Things are really getting better out there. Join me in Part Two to see the finished product!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment - I love hearing from you!

Decluttering My Way

 I have a confession to make.     I hate housework. Yes, me - the proprietor of Busy Bee Domestic Wizardry, where I cleaned other peoples...