Wednesday 5 February 2014

The Thing About Life Is...

...that when you're out there living it, you don't have the time to blog about it.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Life is good for me right now. Post-Christmas, I weigh 2 lbs less than my goal weight, so I'm delighted with that! I've been creating; knitting things that bring me joy, and building a stock of geek crafts to set up my next little business venture. To that end, I've been thinking about a business name, and I think I've hit on something that is both descriptive of me and what I do, and is catchy and memorable. I'll be prepping materials to help the kids make valentines for their friends this weekend. I've been making and doing, and it feels really good. I've been wrapping up the loose ends of my home-based business (taking a breather from it for a few months). I've also been staying more on top of the housework in the upstairs of the house; the dishes are getting done daily, the counters are clean, the appliances are gleaming, the bathroom is company-ready, and the couches, tables and chairs are clear for guests to sit on. I feel like I'm holding my end of the bargain up. We've also been participating in a small group through our church, and have found a group of 8 people that really gel together perfectly - I've never had that before, and it's an awesome feeling. All the kids get along (relatively) well, too, which is fantastic! I've also been continuing with my weekly mum's group, which has been as much of a support network for friends going through difficulties as it is a reason for me to take a break from housework and just have some adult time. It's a much-needed weekly dose of sanity for me, and I am grateful for the opportunity to open my home to these excellent friends

Hubby's work is settling into a nice routine, and he feels like he has a bit of breathing room to stay on top of things there. It's so nice to see him deriving satisfaction from his job again.

Primus is having a good year. He's just finished volleyball season (and was one of the star players on the team) and is now playing on the school floor hockey team. Once that wraps up, there's basketball to look forward to. He doesn't seem to be missing the martial arts lessons at all.

Secunda is doing well in school, and has really bonded well with not only her best friend, but also another little girl from our church, and the three of them get along like a house on fire. She seems to be enjoying a fair degree of popularity and has a good circle of friends.

Tertius is happy to be back at preschool after a month of rotating sickness and sheer fatigue on our part. For a while, I was just way too tired to get all four kids ready and to school for 8:30, so January was largely a wash. But we're healthy, and I feel like the house is in a good state that I can leave it for 3 hours three times a week. He's doing well with letter recognition and can write his name correctly with proper use of upper and lower case letters, but we need to work with him on reading skills. Primus and Secunda both were reading before or at the beginning of kindergarten, and I know Tertius possesses the ability to do so; he just needs the support to do it.


Quarta is likewise happy to be back at preschool and I found her to be far more engaged during the circle time today, and feel that she's really finding her voice in the school setting. She is getting along with other kids in the class and is more open to cooperative play. She is also starting with letter recognition, certainly the letters in her own name, at least!


On the less fun side of things, I had a tooth crack vertically and a quarter of it fell off (during dinner of course, which means that I ended up swallowing it - blech!), so I finally went to the dentist - it's been 6 years, which is far too long - and it's looking like a root canal and crown are in my not-so-distant future. But it doesn't hurt (the upshot of the nerve being dead, I suppose), so that's something.

Life carries on apace, and it is good.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad things are evening out. I sympathize about the tooth, though -- I had one collapse on me during dinner a few years ago. I've had more pleasant experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, there was a moment when I realized that I had swallowed it that I felt just sick to my stomach. But then logic kicked in and went, "Ah well, my stomach acid will probably dissolve it before I try to pass it. Maybe I should have a Coke just in case..."

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment - I love hearing from you!

Decluttering My Way

 I have a confession to make.     I hate housework. Yes, me - the proprietor of Busy Bee Domestic Wizardry, where I cleaned other peoples...